My First Experience in “Room Clearing” Part 1

Okay, maybe that’s not exactly true in a few ways, but it makes for a relevant title. Here’s what happened.

Last month at about 5 or so in the morning I awoke to three loud, distinct thuds at the backdoor. There’s a tiny garden back there with a gate so for someone to be there at that door, they would have to know they are entering the property. I could have let it go. I could have assumed it was nothing and gone back to sleep. But that’s not what you do as the most able person in the household. It’s your job to, at the very least, be inconvenienced.

All of my necessary items are pre-positioned daily and nightly. At night, glasses, flashlight, loaded handgun with a spare magazine are on the nightstand, shorts with an additional light and a folding knife in the pockets in the same place near the bed at all times that they are not being worn or washed. The latter is mostly for convenience as I wear shorts around the house and it’s nice to know that when I’m drowsy and ready for breakfast, I don’t forget the nice-to-have things – I always remember the gun. I’m rather meticulous about the best positioning and orientation for necessary stuff, and I’ll elaborate in a post next week. It’ll be crazy, I promise.

Anyway, that made things pretty easy and standard fare that morning. I holstered the firearm, placed it in my right front pocket (where I normally carry it – more on that next week), placed the spare mag in the opposing pocket, and grabbed my main “tactical” light. The light was in my hands first to start with. I had the firearm gripped but still holstered. It wasn’t until I passed by the bedrooms and made sure everybody was where they should have been that I turned on the flashlight and drew the firearm. At other times, I’d just have checked the place out and alleviated minor suspicions as I have many times before. This time, however, I was thorough.

I checked the bathrooms, closets, the pantry, in, around, and behind everything. I looked outside the window to the backyard first and then opened the backdoor and inspected the place. Nothing. If there was anyone or anything there, they were gone. When daylight came, I checked for signs of damage or entry and couldn’t find anything, either. I breathed a sigh of relief and locked the doors again.

In Part 2 tomorrow, I’ll talk about the things I did right and (mostly) the things I did wrong or didn’t do at all. Stay tuned, and stay safe.



~ by demonhide on June 9, 2013.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: